The Kansas Children’s Discovery Center in Topeka, Kansas is looking for Gallery Assistants to help inspire discovery and joy for the thousands of children and former children who visit the museum from all over the world. Gallery Assistant is a wonderful first job for someone looking for a fun, engaging place to learn transferrable skills.
About the Discovery Center: The Kansas Children’s Discovery Center is a hands-on children’s museum with a mission to enhance the lives of children and enrich the communities it serves. Since opening in 2011 in Topeka, Kansas, the Discovery Center has become a special place where children can explore, create, discover and learn through play. The museum has hosted visitors from all 50 states and 23 countries. The Discovery Center features 15,000 square feet of indoor exhibits exploring science, careers, art, building and more, special space for babies and toddlers, and a 4.5-acre certified Nature Explore Outdoor Classroom. Daily programs, field trips, birthday parties and other special events provide additional opportunities for serious fun. Outreach programs bring quality, hands-on experiences into our community to inspire a lifelong love of learning for every child.
The position: Gallery Assistant
- Monitor the open floor gallery, exhibit areas and outdoor adventure area to ensure safe playing, tidy and sanitized areas, sufficient coverage, and a positive visitor experience;
- Provide excellent customer service and educational moments to all visitors;
- Support all volunteers in their roles through training, supervision, coaching and recognition;
- Communicate effectively and professionally with Guest Experience Coordinator, Manager of Business and Visitor Services, Director of STEAM Education, and other members of management to ensure proper completion of floor duties and responsibilities and break schedules;
- Help maintain a safe and educational climate for all visitors at KCDC;
- Provide input and feedback to KCDC staff about visitor services issues as needed;
- Assist with opening and closing procedures, including but not limited to cleaning and laundry duties, exhibit procedures, safety protocols, sanitization efforts, and rental/program set up and tear down;
- Work with staff, volunteers, and parents to facilitate birthday parties;
- Available to work weekdays, weekends, and some after-hours events.
- Assist staff and volunteers with special events and programs, including some after-hours events; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Experience working with a diverse group of people;
- Able to communicate effectively in person in large group and one-on-one settings;
- Experience working with the public, older adults, parents, teens, and young children;
- Ability to work an extensive period of time on feet, including bending over, lifting 25+ pounds; and
- Self-starter with strong work ethic.
- Experience working with young children (0-10 years of age) in various settings.
- Prior knowledge of KCDC exhibits, policies/procedures and mission.
Pay and Schedule: Part-time, hourly, $7.25 per hour
To apply: Email your resume to email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of applicants and limited hiring capacity, we will only contact and interview those candidates whose availability, skills, and background best fit the needs of the position. Please check your inbox and junk mail for any correspondence. The Kansas Children’s Discovery Center is an AA/Equal Opportunity Employer.