The Kansas Children’s Discovery Center in Topeka, Kansas is looking for a friendly and organized multi-tasker to join our museum team. The Engagement Coordinator is responsible for supporting an environment that inspires discovery and joy for the thousands of children and former children who visit the museum from all over the world.
About the Discovery Center: The Kansas Children’s Discovery Center is a hands-on children’s museum with a mission to enhance the lives of children and enrich the communities it serves. Since opening in 2011 in Topeka, Kansas, the Discovery Center has become a special place where children can explore, create, discover and learn through play. The museum has hosted visitors from all 50 states and 23 countries. The Discovery Center features 15,000 square feet of indoor exhibits exploring science, careers, art, building and more, special space for babies and toddlers, and a 4.5-acre certified Nature Explore Outdoor Classroom. Daily programs, field trips, birthday parties and other special events provide additional opportunities for serious fun. Outreach programs bring quality, hands-on experiences into our community to inspire a lifelong love of learning for every child.
The position: The Engagement Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that every guest, volunteer and visitor feels welcome when visiting the Kansas Children’s Discovery Center. This position is full time, Wednesday-Sunday and includes some evenings.
- Answer questions, provide information and support to ensure visitors have an excellent visit.
- Assist in providing guest service on the gallery floor as needed.
- Assist in maintaining records and adhere to appropriate records retention requirements;
- Maintain membership information and transaction records;
- Assist in processing regular inventory of Discovery Shop items and operational supplies;
- Work in cooperation with other staff as well as independently on special or ongoing projects;
- Take instruction from supervisor to perform functions as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of the museum;
- Available to work Wednesday - Sunday
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven customer service skills
- Proven administrative skills;
- Technologically skilled in Microsoft Office, Google Workspace and basic familiarity with or willingness to learn customer retention software and point of sale software;
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload;
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities with multiple deadlines;
- Experience working with a diverse group of people;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, in working with both internal and external audiences.
- Cash handling experience;
- Proven experience in and passion for guest experience and operations;
- Ability to pass a physical examination, background check and pre-employment drug and alcohol screen.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time both indoors and outdoors.
Salary Range: $36,000- $38,000 annually
Benefits: This is a full-time position with excellent benefits including health insurance; short term and long-term disability; Simple IRA retirement plan; and generous paid time off.
To apply: Email your resume to email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of applicants and limited hiring capacity, we will only contact and interview those candidates whose availability, skills, and background best fit the needs of the position. Please check your inbox and junk mail for any correspondence. The Kansas Children’s Discovery Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Considering relocation? Visit https://choosetopeka.com/ for tons of reasons to make Topeka home.