The Pigeon Comes to Topeka! A Mo Willems Exhibit runs through January 4, 2019 at The Kansas Children’s Discovery Center. Co-organized by Children's Museum of Pittsburgh and The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, the exhibition is inspired by the art and characters of the beloved children’s book author and illustrator, Mo Willems.
Visit the whimsical world of Mo Willems and his cast of lovable characters, including best friend duo Elephant and Piggie, faithful companion Knuffle Bunny, and The Pigeon, the wily city bird best known for his antics in Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Here, simple stories inspire hours of play and reveal the rich emotional lives of Mo’s characters. The challenges of growing up, like learning to make yourself understood or figuring out what it means to be a good friend, are gentle themes throughout. Along the way, children get to make their own art, surprises abound, and ever exploration ends in a fit of laughter.
Locally sponsored by
In this play-and-learn exhibit, visitors can:
- Have a hilarious conversation in the voices of Elephant Gerald and Piggie at a double-sided phone booth.
- Make Elephant and Piggie dance with old-time animation.
- Put on a wearable bus and take a drive around the exhibit.
- Spin the laundromat washing machine and uncover Knuffle Bunny and other surprises!
- Dress up Naked Mole Rat and send him down the runway for a one-of-a-kind fashion show.
- Stack lightweight blocks to create their own terrible monster or funny friend.
- Launch foam hot dogs at The Pigeon and play the plinko game to give the Duckling a cookie.
- Try out art techniques that Mo uses for his own books.
Locally sponsored by the Redbud Foundation, The Pigeon Comes to Topeka! A Mo Willems Exhibit will be on display at The Kansas Children’s Discovery Center from September 24, 2018 to January 4, 2019. The exhibit is included in regular admission.
Photos courtesy of the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh by Renee Rosensteel