Oh Snow! Our Favorite Things to Do with Kids on a Snow Day
Stuck at home with kids bouncing off the walls? We have you covered with a few of our favorite educational (shhhhh...don't tell the kids they're learning) and fun things to do with kids at home on a snow day!
- Hot vs. Cold: It's an epic battle! Hot vs. cold, which temperature will best expand a balloon? Full activity guide.
- Bigfoot Obstacle Course: Put some cardboard to good use by making giant feet. Full activity guide.
- Snow Measurement: In this video we're using Tyrannosauruses as alternative unit of measurement—a great introductory math concept. Watch the video.
- Snow Art: Bring a bowl of snow indoors and chill out with snow art. Full activity guide.
- DIY Light Table: Use holiday lights, a plastic tote and a few basic household supplies to build a light table. Full activity guide.
- Ice Exploration: Freeze a few toys and launch an ice rescue, or paint with ice and salt! Watch the video from KSNT News.
- Snow Dough: Mix baking soda and hair conditioner for one of our favorite sensory play materials. Watch the video from KSNT News.
- Glitter Meditation Jar: Make a fun flurry jar for relaxation with a little bit of science mixed in! Watch the video.
- Family Challenge: Compete or collaborate to accomplish a goal. A few of our favorites include a Tallest Tower Competition and Fort Building.
- Chilly Weather Yoga: Benefits of yoga for kids include flexibility, large muscle development, mindfulness, and stress reduction. Bring a stuffed friend to join! Watch the video.
- Play outside! Outdoor play promotes problem solving and cognitive thinking, particularly when children have the opportunity to play in different weather conditions. Check out our blogs on Reasons to Play Outside (even when it’s cold!) + The Best Winter Play Spots in Topeka and Winter Weather Safety Tips from local pediatrician Dr. Holly Serk.
Need more ideas? We have more than 160 free activities on Discovery at Home! Visit the index page for more.