What you need:
- Cardboard piece of paper plate
- Place glue on the paper plate where you would like to add yarn.
- Cut down smaller pieces of colored yarn to add to the plate.
- Design the monster or character you want to see come to life.
Ways to Expand the Activity:
- Create a story with your characters. Make multiple characters and put on a show for your family.
- Add a moving part. Is there a way you can create the yarn monster so that mouth can move? Experiment to discover different ways you can add movement.
What Kids Learn:
- Children gain social and emotional skills through dramatic play. When they pretend, they are experimenting in social roles, practicing language, and solving problems.
- Basic engineering skills. Engineers solve problems with constraints. They learn to solve problems by using the engineering design process: asking questions, coming up with solutions, building, testing and improving.
- Fine motor skills. Kids practice using the small muscles in their hands later used for writing.