Tiny Titans: Dinosaur Eggs and Babies, open until May 30, 2022, at the Kansas Children’s Discovery Center, is an interactive exhibition that offers an astounding array of authentic dinosaur eggs and nests collected from all across the globe, in addition to great hands-on play experiences!
Kids can dig for eggs, dress up like a parent dinosaur to brood their nest, and feel the texture of dinosaur eggs. Cute babies and fun dinosaur facts will keep the whole family playing and learning. The exhibit is divided into four sections based on the different families of dinosaurs: Ceratopsians, Sauropods, Theropods and Ornithopods, with some special featured dinosaurs within the exhibits, as well. Each space provides visitors with a bevy of interesting information and activities about that particular type of dinosaur.
Who Was ‘Baby Louie?’
One of the features in the Theropod section is called “Baby Louie” and is an embryo of a giant oviraptor found in China.
• The embryo was classified as a new species of dinosaur called “Beibeilong sinensis,” meaning “Baby Dragon From China.”
• Adults could weigh more than one ton, the same as a small car.
• It was similar to a gigantoraptor.
• Beibeilong sinensis is the largest brooding dinosaur known to date.
What do kids learn about ‘Baby Louie?’
• Learn about other eggs in the nest that contained unhatched embryos, as well.
• Find out how paleontologist Charlie Magovern spent more than 700 hours working to clear away rock from the skeleton.
• See a model of what “Baby Louie” looked like inside the egg.
MORE DINO INFO: Find out more about the Ceratopsians here.
Tiny Titans: Dinosaur Eggs and Babies is a traveling exhibit series created by Silver Plume Exhibitions and featuring artwork from Luis V. Rey and Mark Hallet, as well as stunning photography by Louie Pshioyos. The exhibit is generously sponsored locally by the Topeka Lodging Association and Visit Topeka, Inc. Tiny Titans will be on display at the Kansas Children’s Discovery Center from February 24 to May 30, 2022, and is included in regular admission.