Plastic water bottle
Drill with 6mm-8mm drill bit
Bamboo cane or local reeds
- Cut off the top of the bottle using scissors or the utility knife with the help of an adult
- Cover the sharp ends of the bottle with the duct tape.
- Cut a small hole on the bottom of the bottle near the edge.
- Feed the string through the hole on the bottom of the bottle, pull it through the top opening and tie the two ends together.
- Cut the canes or reeds to a size that is about ½ and inch shorter than the length of the bottle.
- If using reeds- take the drill and carefully hollow out one end of the reed like a straw. IMPORTANT- do not go all the way through.
- Fill the bottle with the canes/reeds with the open ends facing out.
- Use sticks to fill gaps between the canes/reeds to secure them.
- You should be able to tip the bottle upside down without any of the reeds/canes moving.
- To hang the bee house find a spot about 3-4 feet off the ground. Hang the bee house with the open end facing south and angled slightly downward so that when it rains the canes/reeds stay dry.
Aaron Grams is the Stormwater Permit Coordinator for the City of Topeka. He works to keep pollution from entering local streams through public education and involvement, City programs and projects. He assists with projects using native vegetation that will provide benefits for stormwater pollution prevention and habit for pollinators.